Saturday, April 19, 2014

back to a bit of dyeing....

Planned on doing a bit more dyeing this week but just made a small start.

click on the images for close-ups...

some oak and chinese tallow leaves, tumeric and steel wool bits on habotai silk

all wrapped around a copper pipe with copper wire

and in a jar with an oak leaf bath and some acorns for good measure
it's been in the garage for about a week and i just removed the bundles today....there are 2 of them.... so they can dry out before I open them up. will show you that next week.

I played a bit more with those hexagons made from circles that I showed you last time. I acquired some old fabric samples that someone was ready to throw out. I cut some circles and  embroidered a couple before stitching them up. I hope to use these in my daily stitching cloth that has kind of fallen by the wayside...but I will get back to it.

hexagons made from circles
Karen's Pillows and Pages class ended this week but I'm still working on a third pillow and have just begun to work on the Pages aspect of the class. It was a great class and lots of fun. Karen is now offering it as a 'work on your own' class, so if you're interested, check out all the info here. and here's a peek at some sections of the third pillow.

worked on the reverse side of the hexagons with stitch and added a chenille hexagon in the middle that's stuffed with fiberfill to use as a pin cushion.

a little pocket with stitching around the edge to hold some scissors

and a bit of weaving with cloth holding a circle with cording and a covered button using bakery twine.
Lots more stitching to do on this blue piece. It will be a sewing pillow and will have 2 or 3 layers so it will take me awhile to do all the stitching and planning.

I'm making good headway on my knitting projects and hope to finish the right side of the Downton Abbey coat by the end of this month.

The garden is taking shape and it's wonderful working out there early in the morning when the sun is just coming up along the fence line, It is so peaceful and quiet. All the seeds are starting to come up and we actually got about an inch of rain in the past few days.

Hope you all enjoy your holiday, if you celebrate. Have a great week.

18 comments:

Deb G said...

I do love hexagons! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your dye pot and glad that you had some rain for your garden. We are back to the April showers...

Mo Crow said...

your new pillow is a delight!

margaret said...

you have certainly been busy, the blue pillow looks so interesting, trying to imagine what it will be like when complete

Peggy said...

Can't wait to see the open bundles. Love the blue piece. such sweet fabric.

Ms. said...

lots of lovely work, but my attention went right to the mention of the 'Downton Abbey' knitting because I am SO looking forward to it. Lovely weather here again and I miss working in the garden but know that early morning peace. Happy everything.

Stitching Lady said...

Nearly can't wait to see the dyed fabric pieces. And the blue pillow will be a beauty. Mine still to be designed, haha, I am in the middle of the second one. I could not do much the past week. Also wishing you a happy everything!! I love that.

karen said...

your blue pillow has a wonderful vintage quality Deanna....I like the idea of gardening first thing, before the world is properly awake.

Anita said...

Love your blue pillow Deanna.the scissors pocket is a lovely idea.I'm yet to finish my second pillow :( .can't wait to see the dyed pieces.
The funny thing is I always try to remove the turmeric stain from my placemats and table cloths..cursing secretly the person who had spilled the curry on them but now I guess I could try and dye the cloth with turmeric :)

Nancy said...

Love the new hexagons. The blue gingham reminds me of my daughter's Dorthy dress when she was 4! Yours is very pretty. The weaving with the ring in it is so interesting. Can't wait to see the dye bundle!

Jane said...

Oh, what a lovely week. Your sewing pillow is going to be amazing, and I can't wait to see the results from the dyeing

Rachel said...

Love your "bit of weaving" - looks really good!

Dianne said...

What a good idea the circle hexagons are - no templates to remove. Your blue pillow is delicate and lovely. Looking forward to seeing your dyeing surprise packages.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Lots of interesting things going on the bundles you have dyeing....it is always a surprise what you get! Your pillow is neat and I love the blue and white ginham with the toile fabric. Butcher twine for the button...you have such good ideas!
xo,
Deb

susan hemann said...

Love the hexagons! Can hardly wait to start dyeing again. I do not do to much of it over the winter here. I do love Karen's classes. One of these days I'm going to take one. I have admired the work you have done in her classes. Hope you have a good week.

Peggy said...

I can't wait to see how the dye bundles come out! The sewing pillow is beautiful, love the hexagon pin cushion, such a pretty blue. You'll have your coat all knitted before I get my last sleeve knitted on the never ending lady sweater that I started at least a year before you started yours. ;)

Anonymous said...

So curious to see how the bundles turn out. I like the interesting way you've woven with the blue gingham. Gingham always makes me smile.

Jillayne said...

Love your pillow-in-progress Deanna - that blue gingham is adorable, especially with the chenille. It certainly looked like a fun class but I was saving for Alchemy and couldn't do both...happy to see your creations and look forward to your pages - ledger work is always a favourite of mine.

Nat Palaskas said...

It's nice to see you are dyeing again. I love those hexagons you made from circles. I must try it to add to my journal covers - Hugs Nat PS: I've enrolled in Karen's new class, thanks Deanna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...