Saturday, January 18, 2014

a full week...

I did lots of playing with the filters in Photoshop Elements this week. I used the images of the beautiful Amaryllis bulbs that have been blooming for the past few weeks right on my kitchen table.
Here's one image that I used for some ledger work.

click on the images for close-ups...
Photoshopped image of the Amaryllis seen in my last post

I printed it on watercolor paper, did some painting with watercolors and with this Colorpoint paint I found in my closet from years ago. I cut out some areas from one of the paintings and put it down on another...just had a great time playing.

watercolors, dimensional paint over printed image

I've done some free motion quilting and hand stitching on this but it's not quite finished. Will show you the finished page next time. It has evolved slowly.

I spent a good amount of time this week straightening out my crafts room. I haven't seen the tops of my work table in a long time. Nice to have that surface back. I built this work table about 20 years ago from a steel frame and plywood. I even added a padded section for ironing that is right next to my sewing machine.  I'll take you around the room with pictures. The room still needs some cleaning out and organizing but, at least, I've made a good start.

a small cutting board here. a much bigger one in another room...paints, brushes, glue, needle book, journal, etc., etc.

more paints and beads under the table, spun yarn in baskets, ironing surface and....

sewing machine, threads. window behind that hanging quilt

old books, machine quilting books, lots of threads for hand stitching

haven't gotten to this mess yet. baskets with ufos, all of dad's photography up top. the drawers are filled with things from fabric to computer equipment. i bought this hutch when i got my first full time job when i was 18.
I wont show you the closet in this room that is chock full of stuff that needs sorting out. Hopefully this motivation that hit me will last a while longer so I can get it all done. The closet is full of yarn and different collage papers, lots of raw wool for felting and spinning and every other craft project I've tried in the past 25 or so years. Very little fabric in this room...that stash is in my bedroom since I ran out of room here.

The Downton Abbey coat is moving along. Just need a couple more rows to finish the back.

the back...ready to start one of the front panels

It was 29 degrees here this morning but I've already received some of the seeds I will plant this Spring. Will have to wait till the end of March, at least, but I'm ready.



Hope you're all having a great weekend.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

How nice to see all this this morning. Now I know where to imagine you working..... Anxious to see the finished ledger page. And I was wondering about the coat!

Sweetpea said...

Do you hire yourself out in the *straightening* department, Deanna? ... am in dire need [ wink wink ]

Looking very spiff in your crafts room and your Downton coat is gonna be The Bomb ;>]]

karen said...

thank you so much for the tour of your workroom. I too can now imagine you there when I see the gorgeous pieces you create. You already know how much I love your paper piece and that coat is going to be fabulous.....That's one heck of a lot of knitting!!

Rachel said...

A busy and productive week, and I can't be the only one envying you your workroom.

liniecat said...

Do like that idea of having the additional ironing space at the end of your work station.
My dream is to have everything in places where I can go to immediately for things lol but the getting to that point may take me longer than Im destined to live!

Carmel said...

Oh goodness...you have had a very productive week. Love the image and your PS processing. Your studio looks very organized. Like your selection of reading matter. Have a great week to come.

Jeannie said...

You are making fantastic progress on your coat!!! Way to go! I love the color. Thanks for the tour. It looks so cozy. I love the amaryllis play. I planted mine late, so they are just starting to grow. Seeds?!!!! I am resisting the urge. It dawned on me today that I still have a 6-8 weeks of winter to endure, but soon!!! Have a wonderful week.

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

woo, i love these studio tours...i'm really loving this space you have. on my bucket list of things to do - a space dedicated to my stuff - besides having it all over the place. still trying to deal with my folks stuff and then i'll get to mine - it will take years. you have such lovely memory bloom and worked on with your amaryllis - your inner playtime is blooming too. and the coat - weather is definitely making it worth working on. mom hated knitting in the summer - she always said knitting was a winter activity. good week for you.

Nancy said...

Deanna~ It's so good to see your space :) The coat is coming right along. Why the quilt over the window? Just wondering :)

Deb G said...

Love seeing your space. I've been cleaning mine too and will share soon. No way was I doing before pictures. :)

Photoshop really is fun to play around in/with.

That sweater is going to be fantastic!

margaret said...

Can see you enjoyed you play time. Serious work in the seeing room, I too have a horn cabinet for my machine but unfortunately not enough room in the kitchen where I stitch to use it, must give it some thought. the coat is coming along beautifully

Jane said...

Thank you for sharing your space. You look as if you've been having fun with your ledger work

Stitching Lady said...

The coat - it is so large and you came far with it. Perfect order around you. And the closet.....it must be a real treasure "box" with all the things in it. And.... I have a small movable iron bord which I take from here to there, dining table, couch table --- being in the renovation house.

Maggi said...

Love what you have done with the Amaryllis. Thank you for inviting us into your working space.

Judy said...

Couldn't you just spend hours playing with images in Photoshop? I love doing that! I'm impressed with how you are now working with the Amaryllis piece, and can't wait to see more!
Thanks for showing your Downton Abbey coat. You are really coming along. Way to go! I've picked up a 'boyfriend' cardi that I started over a year ago and have finally seamed up the sides and shoulders so that I can knit the sleeves. It's good to be back at it!
I loved seeing your playroom! What fun! And yes, if you hire out, I'd love for you to come and clean off my work table. I'm actually making a little headway there, but not as fast as I'd like. Thanks for the tour!
Hope you have another productive week!

xxoo

Unknown said...

It's always lovely to have a peek into another person's work room. I love what you've done with your amaryllis photo. You are very talented.

Jillayne said...

I love the quote you have at the top of your blog Deanna - that says it all for me - endless possibilities.
Your room looks like the kind of place I love to visit - nooks and crannies filled with wonderful things, all ready to inspire... I ha be just excavated my work-table, and like you, was wondering how long it would last this time... I wish you luck!

Mo Crow said...

loving seeing all the details in your studio Deanna, the baskets,the beautiful B&W cloth cover with the flounce for your chair, the big quilt & seeing the progress with your latest projects!

Peggy said...

What a great post -- love seeing other people's creative spaces and envy you your nice sewing machine cabinet. I have to lug mine on and off the work table. And the hutch, oh I want a hutch, too! The painting and stitching on the amaryllis is grand, like you had a brainstorming session right there on that paper. Love it.

neki desu said...

your photoshop experiments hold lots of promises.
i have to follow you and tidy my studio mess :( problem is that i don't have space for all i have. thow away session perhaps?

Nat Palaskas said...

What fun seeing your craft space. It's nice to clear it at the beginning of the year. I need to do mine too. And that fun with PE too. I love what you did with the printed photo. Hugs Nat

Anita said...

It was fun watching your creative space,thanks for showing.I felt happy when I saw your work space because I'm not the only one who has baskets everywhere with things that has to be sorted out ASAP :) Lovely quilt! But I too was wondering why it's over a window like Nancy had asked.
The photoshopped image is so pretty,looking forward to see the finished page.

Yvonne said...

Wow - you are into interesting techniques with Photoshop and watercolours, etc. Beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...