Saturday, June 29, 2013

Rolling Along....or...

The Wheels of Time...or The Time Machine...or maybe, just Life. haven't decided what to name this one yet. this one seems to need a name. it started out in a class with Karen Ruane and has moved into something completely different using techniques learned both in Karen's classes and in Jude Hill's classes.
CLICK ON THE IMAGES FOR CLOSE-UPS

mostly hand dyed cloth, a section of loose knitting and a sheer gray cloth

a weaving and the shift with cut out circles

creating sprockets and gears using bullion knots

lots more work to be done here to make it look like a working machine.

Here are the dyeing results from last weeks post. if you missed it, you can see it here.

the end wrapped around the copper pipe was really pretty but the rest just shades of yellow and orange. this was not dropped into the bath but steamed up above. i decided to redye it and you can see the results further down this post.

this is the silk that was wrapped around the tin can

and the beautiful markings on the flowers after the dyeing process. i was tempted to save them but i didn't.

here's the piece from the copper pipe that i redyed using a metal grid but there was too much iron in the water so it turned real dark. i guess it's time to change the dye bath.

didn't do any more dyeing this week but i did freeze some flowers from the garden and those going downhill that i had purchased from the supermarket. had to show you...i love how they look when i open my freezer. they are frozen in time.

lilies

zinnias, marigolds and coleus leaves
stock

more stitching done on the cloth i'm working on in Karen Ruane's current class, Simply Stitch.
added prairie points, lace and lots of stitch on the edges.

it was a busy week with only some of the things planned accomplished. stay cool if you're encountering the sweltering heat some of us are having right now. hoping for cooler days with a bit of rain.                  


14 comments:

Jeannie said...

Deanna, your cloths are beautiful. Evertime I hang up the eco dyeing desire, you post something that makes me think "well maybe I'll try it again". :) I absolutely love you cam & cog piece. It has movement and interest. Beautiful. Keep cool! I am dreading next week. At least I'll get some stitching done.

Els said...

Love your mixed Karen/Jude piece, Deanna ;-)

Oooooh this eco-dyeing .... most of the times I try it , it turns out not the least I expected (hoped for)
Good to re-dye !
Though it may be quite dark, I love the strong imprint on the dark (iron) piece: you can do lovely stitching on a dark background !!!!!
(are those flowers frozen yet ? they look so much alive ...)

liniecat said...

Fab results there. I too like that dark piece. Wonder if you could contrast it with karenesque white work pieces, patch worked together? Youd have the best of both, light and shade, dark and light, black thru to white.......ooooh could be even more fun for you!!

Marie said...

Lovely fabrics/stitching :)

Nancy said...

Love the light in the first pic!! The dye results are beautiful...at least I think so!

Jane said...

The flowers look wonderful, how do you use them once they're frozen?
I do enjoy looking at your piece with the cogs, I keep going back to have a look on flickr.

blandina said...

Dear Deanna, your experiments are very inspiring and give me a wish to experiment as well! Nice job, I am curious to see what you will make with this dyed cloth.

susan hemann said...

Love your work. I see Jude and Karen, but mostly you and your vision.

karen said...

Deanna, both pieces you are working on in simply stitch are exquisite. The thing that draws me to them though is the difference between them, both beautiful yet both so very unique. I love the frozen flowers. Wouldn't it be lovely just to leave them there and have a look at them every so often? A treasure in your freezer....

Rachel said...

I think you'll find the name for the piece will come to you as the piece develops!

Peggy said...

I like your name choices for the wheel piece -- it's beautiful, textured, layered, woven, stitched, and more. It has depth.
I feel the same way when I open the freezer and get a glimpse of summer! x

Anita said...

Your dyeing experiments are always inspiring.love the bullion knots around the circles ...

Anonymous said...

the gorgeousness grows in this piece. Loving the new textures.
Having a bouquet in the freezer will not only give a vision of pretty whenever you like, but a breeze of cool air for you!

Saskia said...

gorgeous dye results, one could almost eat them they look delicious!
and I love the weaving

thought I had commented earlier, they get lost sometimes it would seem

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...